Saturday, September 11, 2004

Sept. 11th

For me, Sept. 11th will always have dual connotations.

1. Sept. 11th is my baby brother's birthday (Happy Birthday, 'Lil Bro').

2. Sept. 11th, 2001 - Much can be said, and little needs to be said.

Although I am a patent attorney by day, and the English language is my pallet, I grope for the appropriate words to accurately verbalize my feelings concerning the terror attacks on America. I imagine my inability to verbalize those emotions is not unique - the shock and horror of that day is not likely to ever subside for anyone. And, I'm fairly certain that the shock and horror shouldn't subside. Complacency is a particularly powerful fault that can be exploited.

I hope the families of those that perished find greater comfort everyday. I hope the love that bound these families together transcends the hate that tried to sever that bond. And I hope that the memories of their loved ones continues to bring a smile to their face and a warmth to their heart.

Along with countless millions, I watched helplessly as the WTC buildings were consumed by noxious smoke and deadly flames. I saw the carnage of the Pentagon. And I heard the report of Flight 93 slamming into a field in Shanksville, PA.

I seemingly cycled through most emotions one can feel in response to such events in the days that followed. The burning and smoking rubble, the makeshift memorials, the desperate search for survivors, recovery of the dead and the formal memorial services - each scene striking a different and sensitive nerve.

Many folks try to avoid scenes that resurrect those emotions, so as to avoid the emotional toll that these scenes exact. I think it is important to periodically revisit these scenes, not for morbid or masochistic reasons, but to recall the genuine grief that most of America felt, and to acknowledge what America lost, and why America and Americans should continue to vigilently pursue policies to minimize similar future events.

It would be unfortunate if I did not mention that in one of America's darkest hours, many folks exhibited the most admirable qualities of humankind - courage, selflessness and sacrifice, among others. In the chaos of the moment, these heroes provided fine examples of what is truly good about America and Americans.

God Bless the Victims of 9.11.2001

God Bless America.



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home